Saturday 2 January 2016

Workbench II - Laminating

Yesterday was cutting and laminating day.  It went ok.

I started out with some grand ideas of cutting down the length of each piece with a view to giving them all nice straight edges to laminate together.  But after attempting one piece, I gave up.  It was way too hard trying to get a nice straight rip with the circular saw so near the edge.

So I just went ahead with laminating using heaps of pva glue.


There were some seriously large gaps between the pieces, because of bowing and cupping, though.   Not to mention all the knots.


I considered just using a filler to fill all the gaps, but some of them were so bowed that the only bit that were glues were just the little bits at the ends.  So I put some masking tape underneath some of the worst ones and started filling them with Tarzan's Grip.  

I love this stuff - it glues really well, but also swells up to a kind of foam as it hardens.  It took a few goes, but eventually I got it start coming out of the top seams.


I wasn't too concerned about any mess because it will all come out when I flatten the top.

I also trimmed off the ends with the circular saw, but I made a bit of a boo and cut off too much at one end.  I would have preferred more overhand at the ends, but it just means that I'll definitely have to put on an end cap at some point.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment