Sunday 3 January 2016

Workbench IV - Flattening finished ... almost

Today is the last day of my holiday and I'm finishing off the flattening process.  It's looking pretty good, I reckon!


I'm definitely not going to be able to stand those router ridges though, so filling and sanding next.

BUT...I made a huge mess of one end.  When I got to the halfway point, I decided to lift up the skid and start in from the other end.  But obviously something happened to the bit in the process.  I think it started coming loose, but I didn't notice that either.  

So when I started at the other end, it was way too deep, but without a reference point, I couldn't tell.  And then, at about the third pass, the whole bit came loose and made a huge gouge in the surface.  Way, WAY too deep to fix.  

omg
How didn't I see this?!

I don't know how I didn't notice, but I think I imagined that this end was a lot higher than it actually was.

So there's is no way I can fix or live with that!  So I cut off the whole end which then made my whole "too short" issue even worse.  I had two short pieces left over though from the laminating, so I'm trying to see how gluing those onto the end will work.


I want to believe that the glue will be strong enough to hold them, but if I decide to eventually put a tail vice on, it will need to be really sturdy, so I'm contemplating adding some pocket screws underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment