Tuesday 5 January 2016

Workbench V - Last bit of flattening

And this is how it looks now!


I think gluing those end pieces on worked ok.  I did end up adding some pocket screws underneath, which I did by hand and they ended up being a bit of a mess.  (Pockethole jigs are really expensive!)  But they did the job and are hidden anyway, so who cares?

Also, when I routed the two end pieces to match, I didn't extend the side sleds out far enough, so even though I tried to adjust, the weight of the router kind of pulled the skid down a bit and now the very end of the bench slopes down.


I'm not too worried at this stage.  I suppose I could take off the last end piece, add a new one and relevel the whole thing.  But I'm not a carpenter and I suspect that it really isn't going to matter that much to me.

And if I find that I can't live with it after a while, I can always come back and fix it later.  We'll see.

Next will be making the table/circular saw insert.  I need to get a pattern bit for my router to do that and I'm both excited and terrified at the idea of cutting into my beautiful top!

No comments:

Post a Comment