Saturday 9 January 2016

Workbench VI - The Insert

Today I bought a pattern bit so that I could do the insert for the saw.  It scared me half to death cutting in to my lovely bench top!

I checked the level of the bench again this morning and somehow it has developed a bow.  I'm not sure what has caused it, but there is definitely now a slight sag in the middle.  I'm not too concerned, even after all the routing I did to get it flat, but it did make inserting the plate a little more difficult.

I got a piece of 12mm mdf and cut a square.  I was originally going to do a rectangle, just a little larger than the saw, but I thought that it might be a good idea to make it square so that I could change the direction of the saw if I need to.

Cutting a square is harder than I thought though, but I got close enough in the end and then got set up to cut the hollow.


It took some serious tweaking to get the depth right, and cutting out the square with the jigsaw was painful!  There are some pretty crazy rough edges, but I'm happy enough for now.

Routing done ...

... then the cut


The plate is a little wonky and it doesn't fit in in every direction, but I'm done for now.  I feel exhausted.  Another day, I'll get back in there with a sander and see if I can make it a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment